Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

BE STILL AND JUST BE

Sometimes I just need a little time to be.  Spending time being still centers me.  Whether it is called quiet time or meditation it is good for my soul. 

Many of us rush around so much we don’t take moments to be at one with ourselves and our surroundings. 

This is why yoga used to stress me out.  There was so much quiet and deep breathing.  I had no patience for all that. 

The stretching was nice but the perceived edict to be calm had the effect of making me tense.  I didn’t realize the fact I couldn’t stop my brain from racing was a clear sign I needed a mental time out.

Now I’ve recognized how important quiet time is.  I specifically set aside time for it. 

This time is distinct from Bible reading, journaling and exercise.  Those activities help me disconnect from some of life’s daily drama, but my mind isn’t able to completely release.

There is a level of conscious alertness that must be maintained to read, write or dodge cyclists on a path.  It’s not simply being in the way I need in order to clear my mind.

It is my experience that emptying my consciousness of everything can have two results.

When I am living life on purpose, setting my mind free takes me to a better place than I started.  I trust my spirit to do its thing, and I end up getting more clarity on how to sustain my wellness.

Wonderful things can happen in that stillness.  Sometimes there are powerful epiphanies.  Other times it is just a chance to marvel at how awesome the world is when I’m not messing with it.

However when I am ignoring my authentic truth, my spirit tells me about myself when I give it that opening to share.  I am forced to acknowledge the parts of my life that are clearly not on purpose for me.  It is still powerful, but it’s not necessarily the happiness and light one associates with meditation.

Back when I gave no thought to living on purpose, I saved up all my reflection time for vacations.  I knew it wouldn’t be fun and I didn’t want all that angst disrupting my normal day-to-day activities.   

If I got super bummed out on vacation, I could counter it with a day of skiing, hiking or sitting on a beach.  It kept me functioning but hardly thriving.

Nowadays, I’m not adherent to any particular meditation technique.  Over time, I’ve learned how to empty my mind, relax and tune into my spirit regardless of the environment.  

The change came when I got to a place where I trusted the truth that comes out of the stillness.  I no longer have to be on the defensive against what will happen when I go there.  Even if I don’t love it at the time, I know it is my truth and meant to keep me in line with my purpose.

The beauty of my life these days is striving for a consistent sense of well-being.  This keeps me from being afraid to sense my being.  I find comfort in stillness because it keeps me true to myself. 

I urge you to give it a try.  See where your spirit takes you when you let it lead.  Take a few minutes to be still and just be.


No comments:

Post a Comment