Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

HOW DO YOU RELATE?


It seems I am supposed to be learning something about improving my personal interactions this month of May.  

My pastor is in the middle of a teaching series about practical ways to have better relationships. 

One of my coaching colleagues has been offering weekly challenges based on the life area of relationship.  

I personally chose to do a meditation on Romans 12.  This chapter of the Bible is all about how those of us who claim to love God are supposed to behave, particularly towards one another. 

All of this has made me think deeply about how I treat others and how I want to be treated in return.  I had planned to write something about what I’ve been learning in this week’s blog…then Maya Angelou died. 

As I read tributes to her and saw her quotes posted all over the internet, I realized Dr. Angelou had already said a lot of what I was thinking.  

There is no question her life experiences rendered her much wiser than I.  It seemed to me that sharing her thoughts on relationships would be more fitting right now.  

Here are some of my favorite quotes from this phenomenal woman about how to treat one another:

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

“While I know myself as a creation of God, I am also obligated to realize and remember that everyone else and everything else are also God's creation.

“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.

“If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love.

“If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded.

“Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment