Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

CHECK YOUR VISION


A lot of us are stymied in life by a lack of vision.  This manifests as flawed present and/or future vision.  Faulty present vision prevents us from clearly seeing what is actually occurring around us.  Lack of future vision makes us unable to conjure a different reality than the one we are living.  Both of these are problematic.

I like to think of myself as hopeful.  When I was unhappy during medical training, I kept believing everything would get better at the next stop.  I clearly saw that where I was didn’t fit my ideal, but I was assured by everyone it was coming around the bend. 

When I got into private practice, my present vision became clouded.  This was supposed to be the end point where all the dissatisfaction of training gave way to contentment.  When this obviously was not the case, I tried to convince myself the present wasn’t that bad.  

I was effectively putting scales on my eyes.  I needed to make the current situation seem better than it was because I couldn’t conceive of how to improve it.  My lack of future vision affected my present visual acuity.

We all do this on some level as a survival mechanism.  I totally get that.  However, it tends only to work short-term.  Eventually our spirits rip the blinders off and show us clearly, “This is some nonsense right here!”

We are forced to acknowledge that where we are is not good.  This is when the vision of a better future has to kick in.  And this is where a lot of us stall.  We make no change and complain about being in the same rut. 

We allow fear to keep us from dreaming of that best case scenario.  It seems impossible or unrealistic or too simple. 

For some of us, if the first place we see something is in our own minds we don’t feel it is valid.  We have to understand that just because we have never seen it in the real world doesn’t make it unachievable.

When I left medicine I knew I needed a new vision.  Eventually, I learned to expand my mind to the possibilities available to me in all aspects of my life.  This took some time and help from others. 

Rather than trying to fit myself into some pre-fabricated scenario, I learned to pick and choose what works for me to make the life I want.  I like what I see in my present and I am excited for what is coming in the future.

So, how’s your vision?

No comments:

Post a Comment