Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

Shout Out to OBs



This week is the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists annual meeting in Chicago.  Knowing the meeting is happening made me think about my time in the specialty.

Speaking specifically on OB, it is so difficult to express honestly to patients what we do.  The role of the OB is to keep moms and babies from dying and being damaged.  That's the job!

Everything else we do (deliveries, ultrasounds, routine prenatal care, chatting about breast pumps) is in service of that goal.  Bringing new life into the world is a big part of the job.  That's what's worth enough to keep us doing it, but it's not the real job.

People who downplay the role of the OB focus on uncomplicated deliveries.  They are correct in saying there doesn't need to be doctor at every delivery.  The OB is there to decrease the chance of death or damage when other birth attendants don't have the skill to do so.  When a home birth goes awry, the patient comes to us.  That's what we do.

I don't mean to be morbid, but now that I don't take care of patients anymore I am less censored on this issue.  It worries me to see good doctors be burned out by the real job all the time.  I just want to tell my fellow OBs I know and I appreciate your efforts.

You don't have to like your OB (or even have an OB), but at least give him/her the credit for what the job is.  If you do like your OB, tell him/her.  It really does make a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment